« Home | Happy Birthday Bobby! » | My apologies to Landon » | We've got a bleeder! » | Hi. My name is Krista and I want to be a blog-aholic » 

Monday, February 06, 2006 

Sexual Harassment

I'm posting this story at Stacey's request and because it's a good story and worth re-telling. The last name of the victim has been changed because...well, because I just can't remember it.

I work in the accounting department of a large oil & gas company here in OKC. I am a new employee and have only been there for about 3 months now. Upon completing my first 30 days of employment I received a gift certificate to the company store. After my first purchase I needed to return just one thing. I emailed the appropriate person, Stuart Smith, to let him know that I would be returning an item to the store via inter-office mail. My email was very professional and I addressed him as Mr. Smith. He replied asking me to please refer to him as Stu from now on. I complied with his wishes and, in my next email, made it a point to use his name, Stu, several times. I hit the “ignore all” button on the spell check and the email was sent. Later that day as I was cleaning out my email folders I came across this email. I was horrified by what I read. Apparently I had mistakenly hit the “change all” button before sending the email. Each time I had typed the name “Stu” spell check change it to “Stud.” I had just emailed a man I have never met and called him a stud several times. Haha…I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Now here is my question. Is that sexual harassment? I just finished my new employee orientation and had to watch the sexual harassment video. The video makes it very clear that any unwanted advance can be defined as sexual harassment. So far there have been no complaints against me filed in the HR office. I’m sure he got a good laugh out of it. I know I did…and so did all my coworkers.

That's hilarious! Did he ever say anything back to you?

That story still makes me laugh out loud! Thanks for posting!

Oh that is really funny. I just finished a sexual harrassment orientation too and my opinion is no but if he pressed charges it would be. But he is probably just enjoying the fact that you called him a Stud. Haha--that's a good story.--Katie

I believe the legal precedent would indicate that it's not sexual harrassment as long as you are cute :-)

What a story!! How embarrassing!!
I laughed. Thanks for sharing.

You probably made his day.
I say harass away if someone looks like you.

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates