« Home | Making a difference or just ditching work? » | I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore » | complaint letter » | Does the Easter bunny really exist? » | Blondes are wild, brunettes are true, but you neve... » | Shopping therapy » | What? Speak into my good ear! » | "You Can't Stop the Beat" » | Krista, will you accept this rose? » | A banana a day keeps the doctor away » 

Sunday, April 30, 2006 

OKC Memorial Marathon

We come here to remember those who were killed, those who survived and those changed forever.
May all who leave here know the impact of violence.
May this memorial offer comfort, strength, peace, hope and serenity.


The Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon began to commemorate the tragedy of April 19, 1995 and has been called one of the 12 “most run” marathons by Runners World Magazine.

I don’t want to lead you on and make you believe that I ran the marathon. I did not do such a thing. I didn’t even do the half marathon. These legs don’t run that far. I did, however, participate in the 5K. Hey…it’s better than nothing! I was downtown Sunday morning at 6:30 for the start of the race.
I didn’t sign up as a competitive participant as evidenced by this picture of myself and Terra with coffee in our hands at the starting line. But I was proud to be a part of it. The race started with 168 seconds of silence for those killed in the bombing followed by the singing of the national anthem. Then the race was on. I crossed the starting line to the tune of Eye of the Tiger.


Here is a picture of Katie and myself running. We were registered as walkers but had to run to make up for the time when we stopped to take pictures. We ran/walked, crossed the finish line, got our medals and then headed to breakfast at IHOP. All this before 8AM. Definitely a day for a nap!





Oh...I almost forgot about the firefighters! They all ran together. I had to walk backwards to get this picture and almost tripped in the process. But a fall would have been well worth it! haha.

Oh, Krista, I'm so proud of you!! Way to get out there and support a wonderful cause. Didn't it feel great to have accomplished so much all before most people even think about stirring in the morning? Those are my favorite days. Yes, I know I'm weird. :) But again, yay for you and your friends!

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates