« Home | Shopping therapy » | What? Speak into my good ear! » | "You Can't Stop the Beat" » | Krista, will you accept this rose? » | A banana a day keeps the doctor away » | Rocky Mountain High » | Come Fly with Me » | Have a nice day, ma'am! » | “It was a sports injury!” » | do - re - mi - fa - so - la - ti - do » 

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 

Blondes are wild, brunettes are true, but you never know just what a redhead will do!

It's taken many years for me to come to terms with my red hair. I used to hate that I was so different from everyone else. As a child I was called "carrots" a lot by the kids at school. I should probably consider myself lucky as that's the only name I ever remember being called. I've never been one to let teasing from other people get to me. Now I love my red hair!

A few days ago I had some extra time on my hands and decided to type my name into google and see what came up. I found myself reading the blog of a fellow redhead who had just read the book The Roots of Desire: The Myth, Meaning, and Sexual Power of Red Hair. I found the brief synopsis of the book very interesting and decided to do a little online research of my own. Who knew that redheads were such a phenomenon?

Wikipedia gives quite a bit of information on this subject. There are also several other websites dedicated to redheads. Here are some fun facts that I stumbled across. Well most of these are not fun but they are ones that I found most interesting....

• Red hair is one of the most rare types of hair color in humans, if not the rarest
• In Greek mythology, redheads become vampires after they die
• Hitler banned intermarriage with redheads for fear of producing "deviant offspring"
• Women with red hair were burned as witches during the Inquisition
• Redheads are more susceptible to thermal pain
• Researchers have found that redheads require greater amounts of anesthesia
• Redheads are often characterized as being more passionate, feisty or adventurous than non-redheads. This also extends to the stereotype that redheads have particularly "fiery" tempers, and are more easily angered than others.
• Redheads were the subjects of the 19th-century's most romantic paintings




"It is a very interesting experience to go through life with hair the color of stop signs, traffic signals, ambulance lights, bullfighter's capes, strawberries, blood oranges, ruby grapefruit, apples, wildfires, or copper pennies; having skin the color of neon milk and liquid paper when all of your friends are tanned; and wearing hats, long sleeves and mounds of sunscreen to fend off the evil advances of the freckle-manufacturing, cancer-provoking, burn-generating sunshine." --Quote from "A Bit More Red" website

My mom had bright red hair when she was younger and she still thinks her hair is red now--even though it is clearly not, it is brown now with gray streaks. But I guess when she looks in teh mirror it is red. I hope my future children have red hair. I think it's beautiful.

If "variety is the spice of life", you have been created by The Maker to represent the "extra-ordinary". The average hair color represents the "ordinary", non-spice, bland, boring, group who often artificially recolor their hair to pretend to be spicy! We, the average, have the hair color of "dirt" and "dark", two things that at any time or another cover the entire Earth! How "special" is that??

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates