« Home | “It was a sports injury!” » | do - re - mi - fa - so - la - ti - do » | It's a boy! » | "You have to know the 5 D's of dodgeball. Dodge, d... » | You had me at “super” » | All I need to know about life I learned from my gi... » | Open wide » | fantasy season » | Oh the stress of it all.... » | God Bless the U.S.A. » 

Monday, March 13, 2006 

Have a nice day, ma'am!

I never really understood why women get offended by the term “ma’am” until this weekend. Saturday morning I got up early to go to the office. Yes, I worked on the weekend. I had to get a head start on the week since I’m leaving town in a few days. I had a huge headache and was feeling groggy so I stopped by Sonic for a large cup of caffeine. When the girl brought me my drink she smiled and politely said, “Have a nice day, ma’am.” I’m sure she meant nothing by it. However, in my mind I was saying to this girl …can I please see your I.D. because you do not look old enough to be legally employed here. There was just something about being called ma’am by a young pre-teen looking kid. I didn’t like it.

I would not consider myself old by any means. Lately, though, it seems like I’ve been getting little reminders of my age everywhere. On my last birthday my little brother told me that I was getting close to 30. What does he know? He’s still in high school! 30 is still several years away for me. A few nights ago I had dinner with some old college friends and we began reminiscing about moving into the dorms freshman year. One person brought up how many years ago that actually was. Later that night another person pointed out that we are fast approaching a reunion year for our high school graduating class.

Getting older is not something I enjoy. On my 18th birthday I remember being upset that I was officially an adult. I didn’t want to celebrate my birthday and even told people not to buy me presents (although I could never turn away a present). At this rate I’m on track to have a mid-life crisis before I actually reach mid-life…whenever that is.

Krista, the anticipation of turning 30 is much worse than the actual event. Plus side, people don't treat you like a kid anymore. You still have plenty of time before the big 3-0, but when it does come, trust me, it's not that bad. Now whether I will feel the same way about 40 is another story, but I still have 8 years before I have to deal with that one!

As for the girl at Sonic, I wonder if it's the same one that calls me "hon". Drives me nuts.

Girl, if it makes you feel any better, you can always remember that I am older than you. And even better, Steph is a whole 2 years older. :)

I'm with Stacey. 30 wasn't bad for me. But 40... let's not even think about that.

And I typically say "ma'am" to girls who are younger than me. I thought it was a cute southern thing.

Guess not.

Cute southern thing? Maybe coming from a guy. Not a little girl who looked to be about 12. Now when guys open the door for me...that's a cute southern thing. That never happened before I moved to Oklahoma.

Amen to the door opening thing! Be still my heart!

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates