« Home | do - re - mi - fa - so - la - ti - do » | It's a boy! » | "You have to know the 5 D's of dodgeball. Dodge, d... » | You had me at “super” » | All I need to know about life I learned from my gi... » | Open wide » | fantasy season » | Oh the stress of it all.... » | God Bless the U.S.A. » | Road Rage » 

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 

“It was a sports injury!”

A friend recently reminded me of one of these stories. It made me laugh so I thought I’d share…

I’ve only had a few injuries in my life. Two of them come to mind right now and neither of them were serious. I wish I could say that I injured myself while doing something cool…but I can’t. Instead, I just label these as “sports injuries” to avoid the actual true and embarrassing stories of how they occurred. I’m not sure why I’ve decided to post this on the Internet.

The first story takes place during my freshman year of high school. A friend of mine convinced me to try out for the cheerleading team. If you know me then you understand why this is so embarrassing. I was the girl who made fun of the cheerleaders. I am not the "cheerleader type" and I can’t imagine myself cheering from any place else other than in the stands as a spectator. Well, I went through the whole cheerleading camp week where you learn the routine and practice every day. It then came time for the try-outs. We had to run out onto the gym floor by ourselves and go through the routine. I didn’t get very far. I was running into the gym towards my place in front of the coach and other judges. The last thing I remember is hearing a loud snap. When I woke up I was lying on my back with a bunch of people standing over me. I had dislocated my knee cap doing nothing more than taking a few steps into the gymnasium! My dad came to pick me up thinking that my injuries weren’t as bad they were. So he took me home and ate dinner. I was very upset with him over this. My version of the story is that he took me home first because my mom had cooked that night and he didn’t want to have to re-heat his dinner later on. He will probably tell you differently. But since this is my blog I’m going with my version. I sat on the chair with my leg propped up and cried as loud as I could until he took me to the hospital. Long story short…I ended up having to wear a brace on my leg for a few months and take physical therapy for my knee. I could not play any sports my freshman year. So during basketball season I was the team manager rather than a player. Did you know you can letter in being a team manager? At least you can in Oregon. I am so proud of that “MGR” patch on my letterman jacket!

My second injury happened this past year. It was the middle of the week and I woke up early. As I got out of bed to head to the shower I hit my toes on the bedroom door. I didn’t realize that the door was partly closed. It hurt and I heard something pop. At this point I screamed a word that I am not proud of and nearly started crying. I must not have screamed loud enough to wake up the roommates though. They never came to check on me. I finished getting ready and drove to the office. My car is a stick shift and it was extremely painful to push the clutch in with my left foot. Luckily I worked in a clinic and was able to walk upstairs and see a doctor. He confirmed that, yes, my toes were broken. I had to tape my toes together and wear a special shoe until it healed. The shoe was ugly…royal blue with a white rubber sole and huge velcro straps across the top. It really didn't go with any of my clothes. I also had to trade cars with a friend of mine until my toes healed enough to use a clutch again.

I guess I should feel lucky that my injuries, up to this point, have only been minor. I just wish I had a good story to go along with them.

Krista, you are a riot! I noticed an infraction in your tone of writing that tells me you need to find new friends and parents.... perhaps those who can provide you with proper sympathy!
Great stories! Do you have any more??

Oh, girl, the cheerleading injury is one of my favorite stories. And the MGR patch, I remember that. Good times! Thanks for the walk down memory lane, I was laughing pretty hard. :) Love ya girl!

Oh, I remember the good ol' leg brace too. Remember when you finally didn't have to wear it anymore and we were at someone's house who had an excerzise machine and you thought you could use it now? You soon discovered that your leg wasn't quite ready to be worked out like that just yet. Oh, and that makes me remember the Barney lunch bag you packed your clothes in. HAHAHA...phew, good memories. :)

You are very funny, Krista. I love your sense of humor.

As for why you're posting this on the Internet, you're probably much safer there. Not much chance you will suffer a sports injury typing and clicking ;-)

I love you Krista! No matter how weird my life gets, you can always make it look normal! =o)

Now you need to tell the hair smelling story!

I love these stories! However I should not have read this in the middle of my Contracts class! I was cracking up! Luckily the professor is so involved in his lecture he didn't notice!! I agree with Stacey...I want you to put the hair smelling story on here...
I wonder if he's still Captain Michael in Bricktown...we should go for a Bricktown boat ride!

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates