« Home | Pride goes before the fall » | OKC Memorial Marathon » | Making a difference or just ditching work? » | I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore » | complaint letter » | Does the Easter bunny really exist? » | Blondes are wild, brunettes are true, but you neve... » | Shopping therapy » | What? Speak into my good ear! » | "You Can't Stop the Beat" » 

Monday, May 08, 2006 

Car Repair for Dummies

I bought my car a few years ago. This was the first big purchase I made after graduating from college. I remember feeling sick as I was signing the papers and I actually had to excuse myself to run to the bathroom. Money stresses me out and committing to making car payments for five years was a big deal to me.

These days my biggest car worries are about the repairs. I am smart and independent and am usually able to handle things. But when it comes to cars I lack all knowledge, skill and ambition. A few weeks ago my brakes started to make an awful grinding noise and, after asking around, I came to the conclusion that I needed new brake pads. I called several places to get estimates and was quoted a price per axle. I was unsure about the number of axles I had but I still knew this was going to cost a lot more money than I wanted to pay. So I decided to do it myself. A friend was kind enough to help me out with this venture and he tried his best to put my car problem into layman's terms for me. After talking to him I felt like I knew enough to go buy the brake pads from the auto parts store all by myself.

I walked in and said things to the salesperson like, “I need front disc brake pads.” and “Do you turn rotors here?” I thought I had tricked him into believing I was going to work on my car all by myself. But then he started to ask me questions like, “Is your car a 1.8 or 2.0?” I was stumped. So we went out to my car to check it out. We were having a great car conversation and I was so proud of my newfound car knowledge. Then he asked me to pop the hood. Sure, no problem. I opened the driver side door and started looking around for the button that does that. I couldn’t find it and I blame the car manufacturer for not marking it more clearly. After searching the inside of my car high and low, the guy came over to me and said, “You really don’t know anything about cars, do you?” He then reached inside and found the button to pop the hood without even having to look for it. I’m pretty sure that he and his coworkers laughed at me after I left.

I’m happy to report that my car now has new brake pads and I helped with their installation. My help was more along the lines of keeping my friend company and handing over a screwdriver or wrench every now and then. But I helped nonetheless.

You know, I've had the same response from computer people. I can ramble off enough to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about, so they decide to get more complicated in their discussion and it doesn't take long before they realize that I really don't know what I'm talking about.

BTW, I cannot believe you actually thought to try to do it yourself. I attempt a lot of things myself, but nothing that might have tragic results if I get it wrong. Glad you had some help. =)

Krista, you never cease to amaze me. I love it! Way to be so confident in your ability to learn new things, but also willing to ask for help. I never, never, ever would have thought about even trying to change my brake pads let alone do anything else for my car bymyself or with help. I'm pretty good about getting other people to take care of that for me. What can I say, typical girl here. :) I'm not proud, but it's true.

Anywho, good luck on your next adventure. :) Talking with you on Sunday made my day too so I'm so glad you answered the phone when you say my name pop up. That means a lot (tear). ;)

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates