« Home | It may be America’s favorite pastime but it’s not ... » | Where do you mingle when you’re single? » | The Sisters I Never Had » | just call me Auntie Krista » | The Family that Runs Together, Stays Together » | 101 days and counting… » | Sunrise, sunset, swiftly fly the years » | MISSING: GREEN PLANT » | Happy Birthday America!! » | the party... » 

Monday, September 04, 2006 

Automotive Personality

I’ve always thought that naming your car was just something guys did. One of those weird things I never really understood or even cared that much about. I only know of one, maybe two, girls who have taken it upon themselves to assign a name to their vehicle. So I recently decided to change that.

My roommate Jamie is one of the rare females with a name for her car. She calls it Betty. Betty the Buick. I honestly don’t know the story behind the name but I think it’s funny nonetheless.

I own a black Nissan Sentra. The Nissan drove around nameless until a little less than a year ago. I was on my way home from work when a small dog ran out into the middle of the road. The speed limit was 50 mph so stopping was almost impossible since I had a car following me very closely. There was also a car next to me so swerving was out of the question. Sadly, I hit the dog. From that day on my car has been known as Killer. Despite the name, the dog did not die. He was only injured and will probably remain handicapped for the rest of his life. It was a sad day for me. I cried.

I have also taken it upon myself to assign names to the cars of three of my friends. My friend Mandy owns a purple Beretta. I call it The Purple Wonder. As in, I “wonder” why this thing is still running. Terra owns a Crown Victoria that looks just like an old police car so I call it Sergeant. My friend Mel’s car was only named last weekend. It was the car that took us to Dallas for our wild weekend of shopping (and the agonizing baseball game). We were part of a caravan most of the weekend and ended up following a car with a butterfly decal on the back. Therefore, I named Mel’s car Aurelia.

So, even though I still think it’s slightly strange, I have named my car. Sometimes cars just show personality or character and have to be named.

I always think of cars as girls. Or is it girls as cars? Hmm, I'm confused. Why do I have "Little Red Corvette" in my head now?

My grandma and her friend, Freda, named their cars. I think Grandma's was Buttercup and Freda's was Chocolate Drop (or the other way around). How do you feel about being compaired to old women? =o) If it's any consolation - they were "cool" old ladies. Freda's hobby was keeping track of the price of beer at local conviencence stores.

So my car is a black sentra.. just like yours. All my other cars have had names but this one has gone nameless for almost a year.. that's horrid!! What should I name it?

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates