« Home | 101 days and counting… » | Sunrise, sunset, swiftly fly the years » | MISSING: GREEN PLANT » | Happy Birthday America!! » | the party... » | Tale as old as time… » | The armpit of Oklahoma » | Disconnected » | self-evaluation » | Dragon boat racing champions!! » 

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 

The Family that Runs Together, Stays Together

My family has a unique tradition. Once a year we get together and run a 5k race. It’s our form of a family reunion and a fun way for us all to get together and do something active. Then, afterwards, we sit around and complain about how tired and out of shape we are. The tradition was started by my grandparents back in 1981 and has been carried on ever since.



This year we celebrated the 25th anniversary of our run. It was a big deal. We had people in town from all over the country. Our story even made it into two newspapers. I spent the entire weekend with my extended family and I’m exhausted. There were some points when I was a little worried about the fact that I’m related to some of these people…but it was fun nonetheless. Haha.

My brother won the race! I ran and finished in good time….I cheated just slightly. I guess it’s hard to take a short cut and not get caught when you’re wearing the same bright lime green shirt that everyone else is wearing. I’m sure I’ll be hearing about it for years to come.

Did you not hear her say she cheats? ;o)

FUN!!! You know I love cheesy family stuff like that.

Wow, Krista! 25 years!!!! That's amazing! That's probably the coolest family tradition I've ever heard of! I hope you "kids" continue the tradition for future generations! That is a great heirloom to pass down!!

That is a really neat tradition! one I hadn't heard of before. I am impressed that you guys have actual been able to keep the interest up and get the family together. I wish my family did something cool like that (though maybe not running...)

We just had our first ever extended family vacation, followed by the first ever reunion of my mother's father's family. If I suggesteda 5k run (which most of us need from the looks of things), I'd be strung up on a pole.

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates