« Home | self-evaluation » | Dragon boat racing champions!! » | The art of relaxation » | manliness » | fun house » | guilty pleasures » | Cleaning crew » | Maintenance Issues » | it could happen to you... » | Good Samaritan » 

Sunday, June 25, 2006 

Disconnected

Our internet has been down for a week now. You never know how much you rely on something until you no longer have it. I’m going crazy not having access to my email or blogger. Normally, in a situation like this, I would just get online at the office whenever I have some downtime at work. However, my company gives their employees very strict and limited access to the internet. I can get on the local news site and that’s about it. So I’m sitting here with my roommates’ laptop using the wireless network of the University down the road.

I have had to call the customer service department of our internet service provider several times in the past week. Each time I call I’m a little more irritated with them by the end of the conversation. After several phone calls, headaches and one service call to our house it has been decided that my modem is to blame. Apparently it has reached the end of its short two-year life span and I have to purchase a new one.

The other night I was on hold for an hour and was getting more and more upset as the time passed. I knew that if I had to listen to the awful elevator music for much longer I was going to lose it. When the gentleman finally picked up the line again and gave me news I didn’t want to hear I was very short and rude to him and instantly regretted it. This person did nothing wrong to me. The only thing he is guilty of is working for a company that I am no longer fond of. I started thinking about my attitude towards customer service employees. It must be very hard to go to work everyday and sit on the phone with upset customers. I know I’m not the only customer who gets upset when dealing with issues like this. For now, I will have to work on my attitude and patience in situations like this. Hopefully the next time I have deal with this will be a long, long time from now.

You should try dealing with customer service in another language, in a country known world wide for its inefficiency! :) I am incredibly impatient with people like that...and I know its wrong too. :(

I try really hard when I'm upset with a customer service person who is just the middle man that I KNOW this isn't their fault, but I am very frustrated with their company at the moment. I broke down in tears with the Cingular guy last year b/c I had just had it with the run around I had been getting. Of course, sometimes the customer service person is the problem b/c they are either rude from the get go or don't bother to listen to what you're saying and make the situation worse. In those cases, I don't feel bad being rude.

Oh, I know how important it is.

I had a virus a few months ago and couldn't use my computer for an entire afternoon and night.

I do not envy customer service people.

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates