« Home | Dragon boat racing champions!! » | The art of relaxation » | manliness » | fun house » | guilty pleasures » | Cleaning crew » | Maintenance Issues » | it could happen to you... » | Good Samaritan » | Car Repair for Dummies » 

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 

self-evaluation

Recently, I have found myself in several different situations that have made me sit back and think. Think about life. Think about the person I am. Think about the person I want to be. This is out of character for me. I am not usually one to take the time to step back and reflect on things.

This evening I found myself in a conversation with a friend regarding this very subject. He brought up a few interesting points that I hadn’t thought of and it made me think some more. Lately I have been feeling out of my element and even a little homesick. The last time I was homesick was when I left home for my freshman year of college. I cried and my parents threw a party because they finally had their first kid out of the house. That was awhile ago.

Tonight, however, I had the most refreshing evening. I was almost home when a friend called me out of the blue to just hang out and talk. I haven’t seen or talked to this person in quite some time so I accepted the invitation. I didn’t know it at the time but that was something I really needed. I was able to sit down and relax with a person who knows me really well and just be myself. We laughed at old memories…we discussed serious topics…we caught up on each others lives. It got me to thinking that maybe I’ve just been trying too hard. I will be the first to admit that I’m a high strung person. Getting caught up in the excitement of things is not unusual for me and, as a result, I’ve done and/or said a few things that were probably not the best.

It’s at time like this when it’s great to have good friends. Friends to bring you down a few notches and help you see your mistakes. Friends who will call you out of the blue just to chat. Friends to laugh and cry with you. And friends who make you sit back and evaluate your life.

Oh wise Krista, you are so right. I love friends like those. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it remindes me that I need to probably do some self-evaluating, too. Sorry I haven't been a good friend lately, but I do think of you often. Love you!

Isn't it great to have all different types of friends? I am usually the one wanting to make others reflect. Over the past two years, God has forced me to do some serious personal reflection. I thank God that along the way I also had some friends to lean on.

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates