« Home | Automotive Personality » | It may be America’s favorite pastime but it’s not ... » | Where do you mingle when you’re single? » | The Sisters I Never Had » | just call me Auntie Krista » | The Family that Runs Together, Stays Together » | 101 days and counting… » | Sunrise, sunset, swiftly fly the years » | MISSING: GREEN PLANT » | Happy Birthday America!! » 

Saturday, September 09, 2006 

playing mommy

For the most part, I can handle kids. I have a brother who’s ten years younger than me. Between him and other kids, I’ve done my fair share of babysitting. However, the day I turned 16 I started applying for jobs. My babysitting days were over. Now that I’m in my twenties it seems that many of my friends are having kids. So, although I’ve only officially been an aunt for a few weeks, I became Aunt Krista several years ago.

A good friend of mine here has two kids ages one and three. One day last week she called me for a favor. Her husband was out of town and something had come up with work. She needed me to pick her kids up from daycare and hang out with them for the evening. Sure…no problem. Her kids love me so this would be a piece of cake!

Not so much.

First of all, picking up someone else’s kids from daycare is harder than getting through security at an airport. I’ve never had to show my identification so many times. I am one of the emergency contacts on their paperwork so I was allowed to take them. However, I had to go through several people in order to do so. That’s good news to parents with kids in daycare…but it was a pain in the butt for me.

Second of all, you almost have to be a rocket scientist these days to figure out how to properly buckle in a car seat. Good grief. It was like a puzzle that took forever to solve.

Third of all, cooking dinner with two kids under foot and nobody else to help is quite a challenge. I had a one year old in my arms and a three year old right next to me dying to help out. I had to keep one eye on the kids to make sure they stayed away from the hot stove and one eye on the food. I could have used a few more eyes but I was all out. Macaroni & cheese and green beans…a staple in almost every kids diet.

After dinner was play time and then bed time. I had to rock the baby and read a bedtime story to the other one. I had a blast with the kids but by the end of the night I was wiped out. I don’t think I’m ready for kids any time soon. For now, I’ll just stick with my role as Aunt Krista.

Amen sister (not to the part that you are not ready for kids). Things are much easier when you start from the beginning and you work your way up to those difficult car seats & kids running under foot. Starting out with 2 instantly IS hard work.

But let's start with a man!

haha...thanks for helping me keep my priorities in line!

Long story how it all came about, but I was trying to help my cousin out by getting up with her daughter during the night several years ago. McKensi was teething and was up almost every hour. I had a whole new respect for new mothers after that. I was wiped out the next day!!!

Um, I totally know. I like to say that my 5 nieces and nephews are the best form of birth control for me. Congrats on surviving and still being able to take the kids home at the end of the night so you can carry on with your familiar addiction of blogging and myspacing.

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates