« Home | class of 2009 » | I put on my walking shoes » | hot pockets » | Happy Birthday America! » | a case of the Mondays » | always, always, always a bridesmaid » | There's no better way to celebrate your birthday..... » | say it with flowers... » | obscure sports » | cutest baby contest » 

Saturday, August 30, 2008 

It’s a love/hate relationship

I’ve blogged about my car before. This time, however, my car has really pushed me over the edge. I used to love it…but now I’m reconsidering my feelings toward it. This weekend the feeling has been more along the lines of hate.

My car recently reached 100,000 miles which I’ve learned is a big point in a cars life where things start wearing out and needing to be replaced. I’ve spent much more money on my car in the past year than I had planned on and I hope this trend is coming toward an end. Let me just share with you some of the things I’ve had done to my car in the past year:

  • Replaced the battery (which I thought was an alternator problem at first) - got one with an 8-year warranty so I better not need to do this again any time soon
  • Replaced the rear rotors – it took some convincing to get me to do this but I finally gave in once I was shown how thin and dangerous those babies were
  • Replaced two a/c hoses and charged up the coolant – this was quite necessary as summers in Oklahoma tend to get hot, humid and generally miserable and uncomfortable
  • Replaced two tires – I had several nails in the tires thanks to all the construction areas I have to drive through every day
  • Replaced a CV axle – I didn’t even know what that part was until it almost broke off and caused even more problems
  • AND NOW…I have to replace a wheel bearing. Ugh!

This isn't all the issues I've had with my car but just the ones that ended up costing me money. Ever since I got the cv axle thing fixed a few weeks ago my car has been making this weird noise. It sounds like something is shifting and knocking around every time I turn a corner or go over a big bump. I took my car in right away after the first time I heard a noise. The mechanic pretty much thought I was hearing things and said that nothing was wrong except the radiator was a little loose. He screwed it tight and sent me on my way. That was good for about a day and then the noise started again. So finally after two weeks of it I gave in and took it in yet again.

After a whole day at the shop and many test drives this past Thursday, they determined that one of the wheel bearings was loose and that the noise was coming from the wheel. Yesterday I took it back in to have the bearing replaced. They kept my car all stinkin’ day! At the end of the day they called to notify me that they ordered a few different bearings and none of them seemed to fit. They finally found a match in Kansas City and would have it overnighted to OKC. So today I will be taking my car back…FOR THE THIRD DAY IN A ROW…to get that stupid bearing replaced. This better fix that noise for good. If anything else happens to my car I may not be responsible for what I do to it.

At least none of the problems thus far have been major ones but a new car is sounding like a better and better idea. I really don’t want car payments again though. I hope OKC gets some good public transportation soon!

Girl, I feel your pain! With my car, 90,000 was the magic number. My breaks squeal constantly and have ever since I had them replaced a few years ago. I've had them looked at (and several things replaced) and it never fixed the problem, so I'm just going to let them squeal.

Oh, and I can totally see Jason in a side car!

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates